Published: 16-02-2010 photo #1206 8 comments 0 votes
HMS Carron, pennant D30, was a member of the Caesar class destroyers and was launched at Greenock in 1944. She was modified in 1955 and paid off in February 1963. Her end came at a breaker's yard at Inverkeithing in 1967. Seen at Portland, Dorset, in 1960 or a little later, in company with HMS Roebuck, HMS Teazer and HMS Tiger. That's Teazer's hull on the left of this shot. The name Carron associates with Carron Ironworks where the carronnades used in Nelson's navy were cast. A sister ship, HMS Cavalier, is preserved at Chatham Dockyard, and represents the last of the Royal Navy's World War II destroyers. They were capable of 34 knots at full speed.